Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tis the Season... Not

Tis the Season…NOT
Alright, I don’t know about you but I am not sure how it all of a sudden got to be November. I feel like this year is flying by. I guess time really does fly when you are having fun!

The other day I was walking through Hobby Lobby and to my surprise (not so surprised) the Christmas décor was already in full swing. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love a good Christmas wreath or statue of the Holy Family and all the lights galore that come with this season, but did I miss memo that Christmas is now celebrated in November and not on December 25th? It seems as though every year the consumer market moves up the Holiday season and we are unable to really enjoy and embrace the season that we are in.

If we begin to give into the well marketed idea that start November 1st we are to start the Christmas Spirit, begin the Christmas shopping, start listening to Christmas music etc… we will be doing ourselves a great disservice spiritually. The church in her wisdom gave us a time of preparation, the season of Advent, to prepare our hearts and minds for the coming of Christ. A time to step away from the noise and chaos that comes with this season to reflect on the true gift of the birth of Christ and the impact that has made on our lives.


So as we approach one of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving, I challenge you not to overlook the great gift it is to offer prayers of thanksgiving to God for the many blessings He has given to us of our family, friends, work, school, a house to live in and food to eat. Let us not get caught up in the buying of material gifts that will come on Dec. 25th under the tree, but take time to embrace this season of Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment